Friday, February 20, 2009

Academy Awards

Sunday marks the return of the Oscars. The 81st Annual Academy Awards. So far, it seems like it's just gonna be a mediocre show. Not a lot of huge stand outs this year. Sure there's the favorites: Slumdog Millionaire, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and WALL-E. Over all though I thought there were only a couple of great movies in the past year. Now, I know this is gonna sound a little bias but, I though the best picture of the year was Dark Knight. Nothing else I saw came close to this movie. I know people would argue this with me to death, but this is just my honest opinion. I liked several other movies as well, but I loved Dark Knight. Now, to be fair, I haven't seen a handful of the movies nominated. I have my own thoughts on who will win and who won't. I'll start with the Best Picture Nominees. I will probably have to go with Slumdog Millionaire on this one. The Academy is a sucker for the underdog. However, I've read several articles about how people were boycotting the Oscars because WALL-E wasn't included in the Best Picture category. For Director, I think I'm going with Slumdog Millionaire here as well. I really thought of all the categories, I thought Dark Knight deserved this one. Or more to the point, Christopher Nolan deserved this one. Best Actress..Kate Winslet. Best Actor...Sean Penn. Best Supporting Actress...I'm gonna go with Viola Davis for Doubt. Just a gut feeling. Now again, for Best Supporting Actor, it's gonna sound bias again but, Heath Ledger should win. I've had a few people already tell me that if he wins it's just because they feel sorry for him. That's a load of crap. He deserves it. The Joker was the best portrayed character on film this last year, hands down. I've seen Tropic Thunder and I like Robert Downey, Jr., but am I the only one that thought this movie was terrible? Granted Downey's role was the best in the movie, but that doesn't mean it was Oscar worthy. Anyway, there's my rant about Ledger. Well, that's most of the big categories. If you watch the show, good luck with your pics. I know I'll be keeping track of mine. I'm out.

1 comment:

  1. Obviously, Speed Racer got snubbed.

    But seriously, I am super stoked about Slumdog's chances. I've always liked Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, Sunshine) and I'm really excited to see him get SOME recognition.

    I have yet to see any of the Oscar favorites, though. I still thinks it's lame Dark Knight didn't get very many nominations. I think a Nolan for Best Director would even be acceptable. Lame.

    ReplyDelete